Office of Student Supports
School Counselors are tasked with supporting students in the area of academic development, career development as well as social emotional learning and development. Fulton County School Counseling Programs are designed based on the standards and competencies set forth by the American School Counseling Association. ASCA Mindset & Behaviors
Each school within Fulton County has a school counseling program that participates in collaborative efforts benefiting students, parents, teachers, administrators and the overall community. School counseling programs are an integral part of students' daily educational environment and experience. As vital members of the education team and school counselors help maximize student success by providing:
- individual student academic planning and goal setting
- individual and small group counseling
- school counseling classroom lessons based on student success standards
- short-term counseling to students
- referrals for long-term support
- collaboration with families/teachers/ administrators/community for student success
- advocacy for students at individual education plan meetings and other student-focused meetings
- data analysis to identify student issues, needs and challenges
Click the links below to learn more about School Counseling at each level:
Strategic Plan: Building Our Future is the roadmap for how Fulton County Schools aims to improve student achievement over the next five years. Three goals serve as the district’s measure for long-term student success, which is that students will graduate on time and be ready for college of the workforce.
- Graduation Rate – 90% of Fulton students will graduate on time
- College Readiness – 85% of Fulton’s seniors will be eligible for admission to a University System of Georgia college or university
- Career Readiness – 100% of Fulton's graduates will be work-ready certified
School counselors contribute daily to work of ensuring students not only graduate on time but are prepared for life and beyond.
The Office of School Counseling oversees the placement of school counseling practicum and internship placement within Fulton County Schools. Fulton County Schools only considers candidates pursuing a Masters degree, or higher, in School Counseling for placement within our district. Candidates interested in an internship or practicum placement within Fulton should refrain from contact local schools directly and have their field placement coordinator from their program email Shamona Harrell at [email protected] to request placement.
Become A Substitute Counselor
Certified substitutes counselors are hired on a temporary basis throughout the year for elementary, middle and high school. All substitutes are required to go through a background check and are required to hold a current school counseling certification in the state of Georgia. To submit your interest in serving as a substitute counselor please send your resume, the area you would like to work (North Fulton, Central Fulton, or South Fulton school), and your current school counseling license (GA) to [email protected].
Coordinator of Elementary School Counseling
Coordinator of Middle & High School Counseling
Professional Assistant III